The Authority (DDA) was established in 1981 by the City of Montezuma in accordance with the Georgia Downtown Development Authority Act. The mission statement of the Authority is as follows:
The mission of the Montezuma Downtown Development Authority is to plan and develop the designated commercial district to its fullest potential, through economic development and historic preservation.
The purpose of the Authority is to revitalize and redevelop the designated Downtown Development District of the City of Montezuma; to develop and promote trade, commerce, industry, and employment opportunities for the public good and general welfare; and to promote the general welfare of the state of Georgia by creating a climate favorable to the location of new industry, trade and commerce and the development of existing industry, trade and commerce within the City of Montezuma, Georgia.
Contact: Angie Mathews, Downtown Development Authority Chairman
Board Members: Linda Barfield, Ondrea Zink, Austin Bradley, Victor Clark,Page Payne Thornton
Façade Grants Now Available!
What is the purpose of this program? The Downtown Development Authority (DDA) developed this program to partner with downtown property owners in order to enhance and maintain the beauty and charm of the downtown area.
How does this program work? Matching grant funds are available for façade improvements in the downtown Montezuma district. The downtown district is defined as the Central Business District (C1) on the City of Montezuma Official Zoning Map. Commercial tenants or property owners may receive reimbursement of 50% (not to exceed $500) of the cost of an approved storefront renovation.
What type of project is eligible? Eligible projects will visibly improve the unique historic character of the storefront. Examples include but are not limited to appropriate signage; awnings; exterior painting; and window, door, and storefront feature restoration. These funds are available for exterior improvements only and may be applied to a front, side or rear facade, provided the facade faces a public street or parking area. The DDA must approve projects before construction begins. The DDA reserves the right to reject any proposal.
What must I do to receive the grant?
- Determine if the project will require a building permit or any other permit and obtain the necessary permits. Information is available at City Hall.
- Complete a facade grant application and turn it in to the Clerk / Administrator at City Hall. If you are a tenant, include a letter of permission from the property owner.
- The Downtown Development Authority will review the facade grant application and notify you of their decision.
- Start and complete facade improvement work within 60 days of approval of your application.
- After the completion of facade improvement work, turn in all appropriate receipts, invoices and canceled checks.
- The Montezuma Downtown Development Authority will review these items and the completed project and then will disburse grant money.
Are there any restrictions? Because limited funds are available, the DDA reserves the right to reject any project that it determines inappropriate or does little to achieve the purpose of this program. Properties with existing violations of zoning or sign ordinances are not eligible. Properties with past-due City taxes are also not eligible for this program.
Click here for an application form in the Adobe Acrobat format. Completed forms may be submitted through the Clerk / Administrator's office at City Hall.